Wednesday 30 April 2014

Harrison's Baby Blanket

Time for another crochet post I think :)

Harrison's blanket was the first baby blanket I crocheted, until that point the only blankets I'd finished were small ones for teddies, which were colourful and fun to do, but didn't exactly require much commitment or staying power. I also wasn't blogging at this point so sadly I don't have very many photos of it.

I had seen a blanket crocheted by a friend of a friend, it was beautiful in its simplicity - one single large granny square.

I decided on a colour scheme of white, pale blue and oatmeal. I wanted a pale blue, but not baby baby blue, more a sort of bright pale blue, if that makes sense. The yarn I used was 3 different brands but all were a soft acrylic Baby DK. I wanted this blanket to be used and therefore be practical and easy washable.


The blue was the colour of the first few rounds, a single round in the middle would have been a bit lost or a maybe even a bit hypnotising...!

After that, it was just a case of keep going round and round.


Dolly very kindly offered to model it for me. Aaah, doesn't she look relaxed.


The look I was aiming for was of random order of colours, and random stripe widths. However I found random quite tricky to achieve! I crocheted about 35-40 rows of granny-ness, and then finished off with a scalloped edging, and that was it :)


I love this blanket. Its so unfussy, uncluttered, unencumbered by detail, and just pure and simple. As my first completed baby blanket, I will always remember it with great fondness :)

11 comments:

  1. Great first baby blanket. Simple and very sweet. Love the colour combo. This type of blanket is on my ever growing "to do" list of crochet projects :)

    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgitta, it was very relaxing to work on, not much counting to do , but I must admit the last few rounds got a bit redious !!
      Jillxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful baby blanket.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith, hope you are doing ok at the moment xxx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous blanket Jill, I love the colours you chose. I'm so with you on the randomness - its hard !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I had several blues to choose from, who knew there are so many "pale blues" lol
      Jillxo

      Delete
  4. A beautiful baby blanket, soft colours and uncomplicated pattern... lovely. Agree with Kate re the randomness thing .. I wish I was less 'rigid and structured' in my head sometimes, but I am getting better at it ♥
    Have a super weekend
    Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat :) I know what you mean, I cant work out whether random is fun or just annoying, I think I will just look at something random and think "well that's just wrong, the next row shouldve been blue"!
      Jillxo

      Delete
  5. A really lovely blanket. It will be so cosy for a little one. You can't beat granny squares really can you? Simple but perfect.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penguin crib sheets Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting, and for taking the time to leave me a comment :) I really really love getting little messages, I read and value every single one, so thankyou again, and have a great day :)
Jillxxxxx