Friday 4 September 2015

Everyday Cowls and more

Hello dear readers and friends :) I hope you are all having a lovely Friday, its my favourite day of the week, made even more fabulous by the fact that the schools went back this week so I've had some much needed peace and quiet!


I've squeezed in loads of crafting over the last couple of weeks. Remember I started those pink and grey cowls during my our holiday to Norn Irn (read about it here http://emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/rain-rain-go-away.html) ..... well, I've finished them both. And worn them both already as its turned so much cooler here this week. Honestly I totally LOVE these cowls. I love them so much I will even post a picture of me wearing one .... sorry I am terrible at selfies and the cowl just looks all bunched up but its all you're getting for now  ....


The pattern, from Crochet Gifts issue 5, was easy-peasy - excellent TV watching or play-park-children-supervision or waiting-before-school crochet. The cowls are lovely and squidgy and just the right length to wear doubled around like a chunky scarf. I was a total cheapskate and used poundshop acrylic DK for them both, each one used four 50g balls and at 3-for-2 they cost £3 a cowl. Now I know its not all about price and aside from that really they are easily my favourite scarves I've made to date. I will definitely be making more of them, at that price you can't go wrong can you :)


Cross-stitch has put in an appearance too. I've not done any for ages, but took a wee notion last week so made a couple of mini samplers for cards (one's not finished yet) and I've started a large flower-fairy pictures. No photos of that but so far it looks like a splodge of random creams and greys. I'll show you more once it looks a bit less unimpressive :) If past experience is anything to go by, I'll be finishing it sometime around 2027.


One other project finally made its way off the to-do pile (huge) to the done pile (tiny). My friend's Mum, the lady who passed away a couple of years ago, and whose cross-stitch stash I rehomed, had made this beautiful rose latch-hook rug many years ago.  Here's the back of it, isn't it gorgeous .... I prefer the back to the front, I know its not the point but I like the neat flatness of it ....



She'd never managed to have it made into a finished "thing" but my friend really wanted to do something with it, so together we decided that a cushion would be best, and she asked me to make it for her. Aaargh pressure! To do justice to such a gorgeous piece of work which is irreplaceable and very cherished. I think that's why it took so long to get around to doing it, I was so worried about making a mess of it.


Anyway I finally bit the sewing-bullet last week and got it done. I wanted to make a cushion cover where the cushion was the size of the rug (about 18" square) but with a border around it, I think its sort of an Oxford pillowcase style ? Amazingly my often temperamental sewing machine behaved herself beautifully, bless her, and after a bit of thinking, and a surprisingly small amount of unpicking, I ended up with this .....


What do you think ? I'm very pleased. I hope my friend will be. And I'm sure her Mum would have loved it :)

Til next time,
Jillxxxxx

13 comments:

  1. I love the cushion, a lovely tribute. The cowls are beautiful, love the colours. I have looked at the pound shop yarn a few times, next time I am in a town I might give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cowls...... Also you did a great job on the cushion......

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were very clever to think of framing the roses! The pillow is lovely. I also love your selfie and the pretty cowls you made. It is so satisfying to make something you enjoy using, isn't it. I made a cowl of wool that I loved and forgot it was wool and put through the laundry so that now it is unwearable :( You will avoid such a horrible happening since you used your practical acrylic! I have completed very little cross stitch so am very impressed with your efforts thus far...even if it takes you to 2027 to finish it, Jill :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really am impressed with how you used the rose handwork.. what a neat way to honor her mother and you're a good friend to do this for her. I think you look very cute in your cowl.. bravo! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pillow is wonderful, pressure and all you did a great job of it. Love your stitching and your beautiful cowls. Have a great weekend.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that cushion cover - what a fab job you made of i. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely cowl weather (at least in the morning). You look fab Jill. And so does your crafty work. I like the cocktail sampler. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cushion is beautiful!! I am sure that your friend will love it. You definitely did your friends Mum proud with that!! Love the cowls as well, great to see your selfie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cowls and cross stitch. You have done a fab job with the cushion cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it all Jill! The cowl (& the wearer) are adorable!! I've been feeling itchy to cross stitch more too. ;) And what a beautiful job you did on that pillow cushion! What friend wouldn't love it!?! Great job talented Lady. Keep up the good work. Lol
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! I can't believe you found such lovely yarn at the discount store! I will have to check our dollar stores out a little bit better in the future...
    Cute cross stitch: my favourite craft of all! At least it doesn't take up as much room as crochet WIP's so it's all good that it takes longer right?
    Happy Days!
    jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the cushion, and you look so nice in your selfie with your beautiful cowl! X

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting, and for taking the time to leave me a comment :) I really really love getting little messages, I read and value every single one, so thankyou again, and have a great day :)
Jillxxxxx