Monday 21 March 2022

Blanket of Hugs for Ukraine

Several years ago I went on a crochet weekend retreat (I highly recommend doing this, it was a wonderful way to spend a weekend!) and met a lady called Amanda, who runs Little Box of Crochet. Amanda's daughter, Jenny, had very sadly recently passed away and Amanda told us about the blanket that her friends and customers had made for Jenny before her passing. Amanda had asked her friends to make crochet squares, crocheted with love poured into them, and then she would join them into a Blanket of Hugs. Well, Amanda's plea yielded enough squares for 7 blankets! One for Jenny, and another 6 which were subsequently raffled off for charity. Aaaaaanyway..... on Instagram last week Amanda sent out a plea for squares, crocheted with love, to be sent to her, which would then be joined into blankets and raffled off for Ukraine appeals. 


Amanda has created a downloadable PDF of instructions. The squares are to be made in a specific colourway (Stylecraft Special DK in Storm Blue, Mustard and Meadow), to a specific size (14cm square) and to a set pattern (solid colours, stripes or polka dots). I set off to my local yarn shop - Stitchery Do - where the owner, Rebecca, had set aside 3 balls of yarn for me. As soon as I got them home I set to work. First I started with solid colours and made 2 of each.


I decided I wanted to make 2 of every possible combination of colours - for example yellow and blue with a yellow edging would be different to yellow and blue with a blue edging, and so on. This would be 30 squares in total. The solids were very easy. The stripes were also pretty easy.


All the solids and stripes gave me 18 squares...


Don't they look fab all stacked up?!


It was then time to give the polka dot ones a go. Well. The polka dots are actually bobbles and after making 18 squares I was in no mood to start on bobbles, so they will have to wait for another day. Amanda wants the squares by mid-April so I have plenty of time to do some spotty ones.


Its a lovely project to be involved in, and I can't wait to see some pictures of the finished blankets. 
Wish me luck with the bobbles ....

Til next time,
Jillxx

30 comments:

  1. They are wonderful and I'm sure the blankets will be much appreciated. It's great to join in with a project like that. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful project! I have a dear blog friend in the Ukraine and I am worried sick about her. The last I heard she had gone to a town that is now being bombed. The horror of this situation keeps me up at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know , its awful isn't it. such worrying times.
      Jillxo

      Delete
  3. This is very special Jill, well done.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do enjoy it so not entirely selfless!
      Jillxo

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful idea! So many will be blessed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great start you have made - and its a beautiful idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, I hope the blankets raise a lot of money for such a worthwhile cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a wonderful caring idea. The blankets will be well loved by someone and the money raised given where it is most needed.
    You are doing really well with your squares too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are wonderful, and such a kind idea! Someone (or many someones) will get lots of love and comfort from those blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely squares and yes they do look fab stacked up.. a super idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a great idea, and I so love the little stack of them!
      Jillxo

      Delete
  10. Jill, these are wonderful in ever way. I love the colors and someone will be thrilled with it. Giving is such a gift to both giver, receiver -- and in this case, everyone will win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right in that giving is gift to the giver as well as the receiver, I am enjoying making these squares but even more so that they are for a good cause.
      Jillxo

      Delete
  11. This is a wonderful way to share your talent. I love the story of how Amanda did this for her daughter, and now keeps on giving to others. I'm sure the spirit of her daughter is felt in every stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty squares and I like those colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a lovely idea and I like how there's a specific pattern for the squares, I hope you'll share any pictures you get of the finished blankets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful project to take part with. Your squares look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good idea... great that you're taking part. Our thoughts are with this horrible invasion and it feels good to contribute something positive... may bright minds around the world bring about a speedy end to the war.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh your squares look lovely Jill ... such a special idea & the blankets will be wonderful once put together. Some blogs I follow here in New Zealand are making quilts & raffling them off to send funds to Ukraine. Its nice if we can help in some small way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How pretty, Jill--and so very meaningful! I do hope a lot of money will be raised--the situation in Ukraine is more and more heartbreaking...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely squares Jill and such a worthwhile project. I do hope the blanket will raise lots to help the people in the Ukraine. Well done you! keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. The squares are lovely. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting, and for taking the time to leave me a comment :) I really really love getting little messages, I read and value every single one, so thankyou again, and have a great day :)
Jillxxxxx